Standard Magento Ecommerce Features
We have been building and deploying Magento eCommerce websites since 2010 and work with many high profile clients to develop innovative and custom solutions. Our team of project managers, hosting specialists, designers, developers and SEO experts understand what is needed to properly craft a Magento eCommerce website. We believe in tracking revenue over rankings and understand how to achieve success for your online business.
- Related products, up-sells and cross-sells
- Catalog promotional pricing with the ability to restrict to stores, categories or products
- Flexible discount codes
- Generate a set of unique discount codes for each promotion and export the list of codes for offline distribution, email, newsletters and more. Easily manage and monitor coupon usage and generate detailed reports
- Multi-tier pricing for quantity discounts
- Minimum Advertised Price (MAP)
- Landing page for categories
- Customer groups
- Product bundles
- Recently viewed and compared products
- New items promotional tool
- Persistent shopping basket
- Free shipping options
- Newsletter management
- Send to a friend for all visitors or registered users only
- Send wish lists by email
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- 100% search engine friendly
- Google Site Map
- Search engine friendly URL’s
- URL rewrites give full control of URL’s
- Meta-information for products, categories and content pages
- Auto-generated site map for display on site
- Auto-generated popular search terms page
- Google Content API for shopping
- Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration Panel with the ability to share as much or as little information as needed
- Administration permission system roles and users Fully 100% customizable design using templates
- Support for multiple languages and currencies. Web Services API for easy integration between Magento and third-party applications
- Batch import and export of catalog and customer information
- Content Management System for informational and landing pages
- Tax rates per location, product type or customer group (i.e. wholesale vs. retailer)
- CAPTCHA functionality to help prevent automated software from attempting fake logins. This auto-generated test ensures that the login is being attempted by a person and can be enabled in both the admin and customer login areas
- Simple, configurable (e.g. size, color, etc.), bundled and grouped products
- Create different price points for different customer groups, such as wholesalers and retailers
- Virtual products
- Downloadable/digital products with samples
- Unlimited product attributes
- Attribute sets for quick product creation of different item types
- Inventory management with backordered items, minimum and maximum quantities
- Batch updates to products in admin panel
- Automatic image resizing and watermarking
- Advanced pricing rules and support for special prices
- Search results rewrites and redirects
- Moderated product tags and reviews
- Customer personalized products
- Ability to upload images and text (i.e. for embroidery, monogramming, etc.)
- Customer sorting
- Define attributes for customer sorting on category (price, brand, etc.)
- RSS feed for low inventory alerts
- Layered / faceted navigation for filtering of products in categories and search results
- Filter products by price and display a range of prices based on even increments or by a similar number of products within each range
- Static block tool to create category landing pages
- Product comparisons with history
- Configurable search with auto-suggested terms
- Ability to assign designs within category and product level (unique design per product/category)
- Recently viewed products
- Popular search terms cloud
- Product listing in grid or list format
- Multiple images per product
- Product image zoom-in capability
- Related products and upsell
- Stock availability
- Multi-tier pricing upsell
- Product option selection
- Grouped products view
- Add to wish list
- Send to a friend with email
- Share on Facebook
Checkout, Payment and Shipping
- One-page checkout
- Guest checkout and checkout with account to use address book
- Shipping to multiple addresses in one order
- Option for account creation at beginning of checkout
- SSL security support for orders on both front-end and back-end
- Saved shopping basket
- Accept gift messages per order and per item
- Shopping basket with tax and shipping estimates
- Configurable to authorize and charge, or authorize only and charge on creation of invoices
- Integration with multiple PayPal gateways
- Accept checks/money orders
- Accept purchase orders
- Additional payment extensions available through Magento Connect
- Shipping integration with label printing
- View, edit, print labels for all major carriers
- Ability to specify allowed destination countries per method
- Flat rate shipping per order or item
- Free shipping
- Table rates for weight, sub-total, destination and number of items
- On-site order tracking from customer accounts
- View, edit, create and fulfil orders from the admin panel
- Create one or multiple invoices, shipments and credit memos per order to allow for split fulfilment
- Print invoices, packing slips and shipping labels
- Call center (phone) order creation: Provides transparent control for administrators and front-end enhancements for customers during the shopping process. Changing product configurations, for all types of products, can be done by the call center sale representative on the admin side as well as by the customer throughout the shopping process. Custom product choices and configurations can be changed directly during order creation, in the wish list and the shopping basket
- Includes the ability to create new customers, or select existing customers and view their shopping basket, wish list, last ordered items, and compared products lists, as well as select addresses, give discounts and assign custom prices
- Assisted Shopping
- Customer service representatives and other admin users are able to manage products and coupons in customers’ shopping baskets and wish lists through the administrator panel
- Customized Order Status
- Tracking an order is easier than ever with customizable order statuses easily assigned to order states. A predefined list of order states (ex. new, processing, payment review, complete) represents the order processing workflow. An order status is assigned as a sub-category of the order state (ex. cancelled, complete, decline)
- Create re-orders for customers from the administration panel
- Email notifications of orders
- RSS feed of new orders
- Account dashboard
- Address book with unlimited addresses
- Wish list with ability to add comments
- Order status and history
- Re-orders from account
- Recently ordered items
- Default billing and shipping addresses
- Email or send RSS feed of wish list
- Newsletter subscription management
- Product reviews submitted
- Product tags submitted
- Downloadable/digital products
- Contact Us form
- Create and edit orders from the admin panel
- Feature-rich customer accounts
- Order history with status updates
- Order tracking from account
- Password reset email from front-end and admin panel
- Order and account update emails
- Customizable transactional emails
- Support for localization, multiple currencies and tax rates - Includes support for WEEE/DEEE in EU
- Support for accented characters and right to left text
- Configurable list of allowed countries for: Site registration
- Shipping destination addresses with ability to specify per shipping method
- Billing addresses with ability to specify per payment method
- European Union VAT-ID validation facilitates the tax collection process by automatically applying the correct tax rules according to VAT customer groups
- EU cookie notification simplifies the EU Privacy and Electronic Communications Directive compliance process by displaying an opt-in message at the top of the storefront
Analytics and Reporting
- Integrated with Google Analytics
- Admin dashboard for report overview
- Sales report
- Tax report
- Abandoned shopping basket report
- Best viewed products report
- Best purchased products report
- Low stock report
- Search terms report
- Product reviews report
- Tags report
- Coupon usage report
- Total sales invoiced
- Total sales refunded
We use several techniques and additions to the Magento system to maximize the impact of SEO
- HTML Sitemap Page
- Meta Keywords Disabling
- Noindex category filters
- Disabled Product Redirecting
- Breadcrumb Structured Data
- Twitter Cards & Open Graph structured data
- Category H1 Heading
- Set Product, Category & CMS Meta Title/Description Defaults
- Contact Page Title/Description
- Duplicate Product Attribute Validator
- Force Canonical URL Product Redirect
- Universal Analytics
- Social Media Schema
User admin / productivity updates
While being fully featured a few select additions to the Magento administration structure can yield significant time saving.
- Enhanced Grids – Allows tailored information to be shown on list views of Magento admin system.
- Import / Export Functionality –allows administrators to export data to browser for download rather than to filesystem.
Payment Gateway & Existing Products
Your preferred payment gateway will be integrated in to the new website to handle payment processing.
Import of Existing Product Data
We can export data from your current platform which includes product and sales data, then import to Magento to save time in the transferring platforms. This will use a 3rd party service that specialises in the correct exporting of data so that there are no data issues when setting up on Magento. The cost for this transfer is included in the total cost of project.
Improving Customer Confidence and Conversion Rates
Google Trusted Stores - Optional
Customers will be offered a chance to sign up for free purchase protection from Google. If a customer decides to sign up they will receive an email confirming the protection along order details, an estimated delivery date, contact details and account details pertaining to their Google Trusted Stores Customer account.
Customers who take out Google purchase protection will then be sent an optional customer survey to fill out after the order has been dispatched.
There is a qualification period for Google Trusted Stores of at least 30 days, as Google collects data and assesses your sites eligibility. During the qualification period, the Google Trusted Stores badge will not be shown on the website, however randomly selected customers will still be invited to sign up for purchase protection.
Once Google is satisfied that the website is eligible to come out of the qualification period the following features of the scheme will become available.
Google Trusted stores can be highlighted via reviews extensions on Google Adwords.
Mailchimp integration will allow to capture Magento customer’s emails in Mailchimp and leverage this connection to use several other features.
- Support to send out emails automatically, based on certain triggers, i.e customers birthday, related products, product review, no customer activity.
- Support for Abandoned Carts Recovery via Mandrill
- Supports multiple MailChimp email lists and multiple interest groups.
- Measure ROI by tracking when people click from your email campaigns, visit your website, and make a purchase.
- Send Customer data to MailChimp as Merge fields, which can be used to dynamically personalise an email.
- Customers are unsubscribed from Magento email list when they unsubscribe on Mailchimp.
- Double opt-in support and support for forced subscription on both Registration and Checkout areas
- Synchronisation of subscribers from Magento to MailChimp and vice versa
Product Page Content - Optional
We can assist in the writing of product descriptions, which we feel are one of the most important elements of an ecommerce site success.
Our copywriting team have extensive knowledge of gathering, dissecting and creating effective pieces of content for any industry or application on or offline. This is done with initial fact finding exercises with your team and then structured feedback gathering to result in content that not only makes sense, it gives your organisation the edge it needs to stand out. Our copywriting team take the following considerations when creating content;
The first thing to establish is who the content is aimed at and who will be reading it. In order to maximise potential copy and content needs to be tailored specifically so that it can generate the greatest interest and catch attention.
Writing copy isn’t a generic one-size-fits-all process. It needs to be aimed at a specific target market. So understanding this market and everything that surrounds it is vital if the copy is to be relevant and effective.
Tone of Voice
The way copy is written and how it sounds can be the difference between success and failure. Adopt the wrong tone of voice and the message you are trying to get across can be lost, along with the interest of those you are attempting to engage with.
Call to Action
As well as the tone of voice, a call to action can be the difference between your content being effective or just ordinary. A call to action needs to be powerful, yet not overbearing, and when and where it appears in the copy should not be left to chance. We have extensive experience in writing content for product pages on an ecommerce store, as a guide our team can produce content for approximately 50 products per day.
How We Work
Having worked on over 500 web projects our individually tailored process has evolved to become a tried and tested blue-print when it comes to designing and building your new website. This ensures we maintain a concise understanding throughout, while maintaining contact with our clients to understand all of their requirements, targets and concerns. We carry out a constant review of our progress throughout the duration of the project which starts from the outset with a team development meeting. This enables us to target goals and expectation, as well as the key challenges we might face along the way. And our contact with you doesn’t end there. We like to keep clients regularly updated so they know exactly where we are at, providing regular updates either face-to-face or over the phone. You will be kept bang up to date thanks to your very own project manager, and we also encourage members of our team remain as involved with our clients at all times throughout the entire design and delivery process.
As an optional extra for you, we use ‘Basecamp’ online project management software which is great for giving all involved parties a recorded and accessible source of updates and resources related to the project.
Your website begins with a thorough, up-front process of discovery. By carrying out interviews and conducting detailed analysis surveys, we develop a series of deliverables that allows us to work efficiently through the duration of production. Your project’s success depends on a solid foundation, and this research is crucial.
Here are some of the key stages of this vital process
- Project setup
- Gathering requirements
- Business objectives survey
- Stakeholders profile brief
- Overview of current infrastructure
- Competitor analysis
- Design objectives survey
- Conversion workflow
- Complete list of deliverables compiled
This is a vital stage in the design and development process and by using Wire Framing we construct a site map to see exactly what goes where and just how it will fit our specific plans.
A website that lacks coherence and planning will only lead to poor user experience and ultimately a lack of results, hampering the growth of your business and harming your reputation. So if you want to achieve a usable and serviceable website, that’s easy to navigate and responds to the needs of your customers, planning is an essential requirement.
Information architecture acts as a blueprint for your website, allowing you to review and assess the site before proceeding to the build and development stage.
This allows our team to work to specific layouts and conceptual ideas, though we also like to give them the creative freedom they need to give your website that little extra sparkle and the oh-so-important personal touch. It also provides you with a prototype of the website you can expect once the project is complete, allowing you to follow our progress along the way.
Throughout the Wire Framing process we focus on these key rules:
- Create a blueprint for a website that maps out the elements, features and functionality that are required
- Prioritise content and page layout elements
- Use conversion workflow report to ensure fits with site requirements
- UI/UX taken into consideration at this stage
- Responsive Web Design considerations.
We design websites with your branding, colors, functionality requirements, and usability in mind. Using the wireframes we produce following our initial consultation, we get to work on bringing all the elements of a great website design together.
We believe the design elements of a website must suggest and re-enforce your message, then lead visitors to exactly where they want to go and what they need to see. That’s why we don’t even think about a design until we have submerged ourselves into the project specification.
Your site will be unique to your organisation and designed for maximum conversion of goals, consisting of a combination of convention and creativity to make sure that your site can perform to its maximum potential while meeting your company’s requirements
Throughout the design process we follow these key stages:
- Initial custom website design concepts created
- Consultation with client to receive feedback
- Revisions from your feedback
- Approval of design concepts
We take a Mobile / Content first approach to responsive design. This means we focus on making content and functionality applicable and accessible on all devices from a “mobile” size device up to desktops and other large screen devices.
Some of the typical screen sizes of devices we test on:
|Base (Mobile)||300px and up Large|
|Large Mobile||481px and up|
|Tablet||768px and up|
|Small Desktop / Landscape Tablet||992px and up|
|Desktop / Large Desktop / Other Devices||1200px and up|
Our development team work using Agile Development methodologies with a twist on SCRUM to ensure that we have an iterative, responsive development process. This allows us to deliver a product quickly, to our exacting standards, while maintaining flexibility for any emerging requirements.
The development team work in conjunction with the two project managers, one of which becomes an internal stakeholder representing the client, ensuring that any questions or changes suggested by the development team are relayed to the client and then fed back into the continuing workflow of the team. This allows the project to grow organically.
We ensure that each site delivered is;
- Semantically Structured - structure is meaningful and describes the function that the item serves rather than the visual form
- SEO Friendly - regardless of specification site is structured to be read well by search engines
- Cross Browser compatible - sites are compatible with modern browsers, with appropriate fall backs for old browsers
- Optimised - We ensure that all deliverables to the clients browser are optimised for speed and compatibility across a multitude of devices
We believe that when it comes to your website it isn’t just how it looks, but also about the message you want to get across. That’s why we work with you right from the very start; collecting, formatting and integrating content in order to ensure your business is represented correctly and in the right tone of voice.
Ultimately it is you who decides what you want to say and how you want to say it, but by working with us you can be sure your content is seen by as many people as possible.
We will optimise your content to make sure it is visible for all the major search engines using SEO (Search Engine Optimization) skills and we can even provide a full content structure analysis to evaluate your copy and content while ensuring you are making the most of what your site contains.
We perform testing against each component within the site, to ensure that each functional and non-functional aspect works as desired.
Testing on the site is performed in conjunction with the development team, a designated internal tester and a project manager who wasn’t assigned to be the internal stakeholder for the project. This ensures we have a non-biased objective view of the testing.
Testing against a set of rules developed for each project, that include a traditional UAT (User Acceptance Testing) workflow, on which we chart the specific function of each component, its expected result and its actual result. We also ask the tester to perform certain actions to, for instance, make an enquiry to see how they would interact with what’s been built to achieve the objective.
This process helps to expose any oversights that could have been made with a development team member being overly familiar with the mechanics of the site during the development of the project. We constantly review our browser support, based on usage trends and from our own analytics data collected from our clients.
We know it can be a daunting prospect taking control of a new website that you’re not familiar with, so following the design and build of your new site we’ll be there to help right from day one.
On completion of the design and build process we offer full training to you and your staff in the form of an on-site training seminar to give you the chance to iron out any problems and make sure you know everything there is to know about how it works and what it does. And as well as vital hands-on training we will also supply a bespoke document specifically produced to deal with any functionality issues concerning the new site.
Deployment / Hosting
Once approved, the completed website is ready to be moved to either the client’s hosting platform or into our AWS (Amazon Web Services) ecosystem.
As the site is developed, staged and deployed on AWS in a 1 to 1 environment this gives us a stable platform.
This is pre planned to minimise any risk of any incompatibility. In most cases the site can be run for several days on the live environment on a pseudo name to check stability, and the site is tested again to ensure that the site is working as expected.
On our Amazon Web Services servers we combine all our Hosting Technology core technologies with
- Amazon Cloud Front - allows distributed content to be delivered with low latency and at a high speed to end users.
- Amazon Elasticache for Memcached or Redis scalable distributed in-memory cache in the cloud.
- Amazon Route 53 for low latency, fault tolerant DNS management and healthchecks.
- Amazon SES
- Amazon S3
Primary technologies used on our hosting solutions consist of
- LAMP Stacks
- Apc Cache
SLA and Commitments Statement
Mankato Web Design will use commercially reasonable efforts to make Amazon EC2 and Amazon EBS each available with a Monthly Uptime Percentage of at least 99.95%.
If you have questions about a particular aspect of functionality on your new site or if you have a need for extra functionality we are always on hand to help.
We will work with you to support the site to ensure you eek every little bit of potential out of it for years to come.
Key Meetings (Phone or In Person)
We would require meetings with your team at the following stages;
Discovery & Architecture
This meeting would be crucial for us to gather requirements and build a blueprint for the project. It ideally should involve group brainstorming sessions so that we get a complete overview of stakeholder requirements. From experience, after the initial discovery sessions, a further meeting is required to discuss and approve the specification document we compile.
Design & Revisions
This meeting would be to run through concept designs and gather feedback. We have a particular process of gathering feedback for designs, not just simply ‘what do you think of the new website concept?’.
After approval of concepts, our development team take over and we always encourage a meeting approximately half way through the build to give you an update and cover any questions that may have arisen during build. At this stage a working prototype of main features is demonstrated.
Once built, we send you a test link for your team to review, and then meet you to run through any feedback or amends needed. On occasions this meeting is combined with training.ff.
This would happen when you are 100% happy with site build. We can come on-site or you can come to our office for single or group training sessions for your staff.
Our team of over 20 individuals has been built over 5 years to form a well-balanced collection of professionals covering project management, design, development and marketing.
Pricing & Timeframes
Below you will find the different stages of most ecommerce projects and typical time frames.
We provide a custom itemized proposal for each new prospective client. Typically our quote will cover project management, consultancy/planning/wireframing, design, responsive front-end development, back-end functionality development, testing, and training.
Timeframe & Payment Terms
Average ecommerce projects typically take us 12 weeks to complete. This accommodates time for client feedback and meetings, so can be shorter, depending on how quickly we can receive necessary client resources for delivery of the project.